Humans of Jewell

Davis Lee, first-year international relations major, discusses his struggle of being unsatisfied with the major that he chose. He shares what gives him hope for the future.

“My major is international relations and I picked it under this strange pretense that ‘Oh I really like to go places’ and ‘Oh I really like to talk to people.’ The more that I go into it, the more that I realize how little I know about politics, which is 90 percent of it. Also, how small of a desire I have to learn a foreign language which is the other 10 percent of it. I’ve been second guessing it to say the least, but I guess I had good intentions when I picked it. Maybe I didn’t think about it as much as I should’ve, or I didn’t fully understand what it was when I went into it. I’m starting to think more and more that this isn’t the right thing for me to be doing. I need to find something else, it’s just a matter of what that is. This is supposed to be the point in my life where I start figuring out what I’m doing. Most people kind of have a general idea, and I don’t really know what I’m doing. So, that is kind of a struggle.”


When asked to stand back from the problem, he would give someone else in his situation the following advice:

“Go for doing something else. You have the opportunity to do something else. So why would you keep doing the thing that you don’t like if you have the ability to try something else? And if you don’t like that either, try something else. There’s really no reason not to. There’s no reason to keep doing something that you’re not enjoying.”


Finally, Lee discusses what gives him hope that he will go on to be successful in the future.

“I’ve always had this crazy idea in my head that I’m going to somehow make a ton of money. Part of me has stayed half-way confident in that. I imagine myself sometimes and I’m like, ‘Yes you’re going to have a really nice house and an expensive car and all this stuff.’ I have no idea why or how I’m getting that. Sometimes I’m just like, ‘That’s happening so don’t worry about what comes in between, because you’re going to get to that point.’ In a more realistic sense, I am here. I don’t personally believe that there would be any reason for God to put me here if I don’t have purpose. I don’t think it would make any sense. Although I don’t know what I’m going to be, I have confidence in that it’s something and that I’ll figure it out. The choir director at my church used to tell us all the time before practice that ‘God don’t make no junk.’ That goes deeper than a funny thing to say. It makes sense in multiple ways. That, like, clearly there would be no reason for Him to create something without more of a purpose than to just go through life day to day then die. There’s something greater that we are called to do.”


All photos taken by Cassidy Winsor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.